Veggie Chili with Sweet Potatoes
-1 large yellow onion, chopped
-2 garlic cloves minced
-1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
-1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
-1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can tomato sauce
-2 tbsp chili powder
-1 tbsp cumin
-salt and pepper to taste
-grated cheese and sour cream or creme fraiche for serving
1. Heat a tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring. Cook a couple of minutes until golden and translucent.
2. Add green pepper, stirring. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add sweet potato and cook another minute.
4. Add beans, tomato sauce, and spices, stirring. Add 1-2 cups of water until consistency is that of a thick soup. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally until flavors meld and sweet potato is soft. Add more water as needed.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Serve with cheese and sour cream.