When I have a really busy schedule, I make a giant pot of soup that I can then reheat during the week for a quick and healthy meal. This is one of those soups. I love the combination of the sweetness from the sweet potatoes and the earthiness of the lentils. By adding in some greens, I have a super nutritious, hearty, one-pot meal. I’m always looking for new soup ideas. Out of curiosity, what’s your favorite soup recipe?
Lentil Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach
-1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
-1 cup black lentils, rinsed
-1 yellow onion, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-juice from 1/2 lemon
-2 cups spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
-handful of coriander leaves
-salt and pepper
1. Sautee onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
2. Add sweet potato and lentils, stir.
3. Add enough water to cover mixture by a couple of inches. Simmer over low heat until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, roughly 30-40 minutes. Add more water as needed.
4. Add spinach, coriander, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook a couple of minutes more until spinach is wilted.
5. Add lemon juice and serve.