I’m actually really excited to write this post. This was not only one of the best meals I’ve cooked in a long time, it was one of the best meals I’ve eaten. Super fast and simple, yet it is an incredibly satisfying mixture of textures, flavors and temperatures. If you are a vegetarian, make the slaw anyways. It would be delicious on its own or as the salad part of another meal.
Crispy Spiced Pork Cutlets
-pork cutlets (very thin boneless pork chops, 2-3/person)
-1/2 cup flour
-1 teaspoon spicy paprika
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1 teaspoon chili powder
-salt and pepper
-1/2 tbsp butter
-1/2 tbsp olive oil
1. Liberally salt and pepper the pork on both sides.
2. Mix the flour, paprika, cumin and chili powder in a shallow bowl. Douse the pork in the flour, coating both sides.
3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the pork.
4. Cook until done and browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes/side.
Apple, Beet, and Cabbage Slaw
-1 medium sweet apple (like fuji), cut into matchsticks
-2 roasted and cooled beets*, cut into matchsticks
-1/4 head of cabbage, shredded
-2 tbsp mayonaise
-1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 tsp spicy dijon mustard
1. Toss all ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasonings.
2. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld.
*To roast the beets (so sweet – my favorite method!), heat oven to 400 (200 celsius) and place beets in foil packet. Place in oven and cook until tender, approximately 1-1.5 hours. This can be done the day before.