I have a busy week so I made a pot of soup. Leftovers are the perfect thing to come home to. Quick and satisfying so I can eat something healthy that tastes good and still get all my work done. What is your go-to for a busy week?
Sausage and Bean Soup
2 links sausage (Italian or other fatty loose sausage) removed from skin
1 red onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can chickpeas or white beans, drained and rinsed
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Handful of spinach or chard, chopped
Salt, pepper and chili flakes
1. Sautee sausage and onion in a bit of olive oil, breaking up the sausage bits. Cook until lightly browned.
2. Add carrots and cook 2-3 minutes more.
3. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and water to cover just above ingredients.
4. Add salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes until flavors meld.
5. Add spinach or chard and cilantro. Cook just until wilted and serve.