This is one of those dishes that just came together by accident. I was planning on simply roasting the sweet potato and steaming the green beans. Super simple and not very inspiring, I know. Then I remembered THIS stir-fried sesame asparagus that I have made before. It’s a delicious mix of salty and sweet and the sesame seeds add a nice crunch. This recipe is a variation on that one. I added a bit of heat and bit of bitter vinegar to better balance the flavors. The result is a delicious and much more interesting side!
Sesame-Soy Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans
-1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
-handful of haricots verts or other green beans
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tbsp honey
-1 tsp rice vinegar
-t tsp sriacha
-2 tbsp sesame oil
-4 tsp sesame seeds
-non-stick spray or a bit of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450. Toss the sweet potato with a bit of olive oil or non-stick spray and roast until just tender, approximately 45-60 minutes.
2. Meanwhile steam the green beans until crisp-tender.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients except the sesame seeds together to form the sauce.
4. Toss with green beans and sweet potato and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5. Bake until starting to brown, about 15 minutes. Stirring once.