Awhile back my aunt made Ina Garten’s Orzo with Roast Vegetables as a side dish with dinner. Light and lemony, it was perfect for summer. I decided to make a version of this dish as a main dish the other night. I added in more veggies and changed the recipe a bit but the concept remains the same. A bowl of this orzo and a glass of rose are perfect for a hot summer night.
Orzo with Roast Summer Veggies and Feta
-1 red onion
-1 small eggplant
-1 red pepper
-1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
-1/2 cup orzo
-1 garlic clove, crushed
-juice from 2 lemons
-1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
-handful of basil leaves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400. Chop the onion, zucchini, eggplant and pepper. Toss with a bit of olive oil and some salt, and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool*.
2. Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until done. Drain, rinse in cool water and add to a medium-large serving bowl.
3. Mix lemon juice and garlic and set aside for 10 minutes. This mellows the garlic. Add olive oil in thin stream, mixing to create the dressing. Taste. This should be tangy.
4. Toss roast veggies, orzo, tomato, dressing and basil.
5. Add feta cheese, salt and pepper to taste and toss. Top with more feta cheese crumbles and serve.
*During the summer I like to roast veggies in the morning or on cool days. I then keep them in the fridge for use during the week when it is too hot to turn on the oven. This would work perfectly here.